We're looking for a Community and Communications Manager
European Digital Rights (EDRi) is a not-for-profit association of 35 digital civil rights organisations from 21 European countries. We are the only EU-wide NGO specialising in the protection of digital rights. Our objectives are to promote, protect and uphold civil rights in the field of information and communication technology, such as the rights to privacy, freedom of expression, communication and access to information as well as the promotion of civil society.
EDRi's Brussels office is planning to grow further to promote, protect and uphold digital civil rights even better. Now we are in need of a motivated Community and Communications Manager.
- Experience in journalism, communications, media and or public relations, ideally on an EU level;
- Degree in journalism, public relations, communications or related field;
- IT & web experience: proactive use of the web for communications and outreach strategy;
- Fluency in English and French – written and spoken – English at native level as this is the medium for nearly all of the envisaged work. Additional languages very welcome;
- Familiarity with European policy-making process;
- Values: Passion for and experience with EDRi's mission;
- Experience maintaining and contributing to a blog;
- Ideally, at least two years of experience organising online activism;
- Experience with mailing list management and coalition building;
- Technical skills, including content management systems;
- Photography and video editing experience.
Tasks - this position will be in charge of:
- Researching and writing activism materials;
- Establishing press relations and providing contacts with press releases;
- Networking with journalists;
- Communicating with EDRi supporters and members;
- Building coalitions and managing mailing lists for EDRi's working groups;
- Provide direction, materials and input for ad hoc campaigns and for individual activists;
- Creating a series of campaign objectives (short and long term);
- Promoting EDRi's activities via social media and EDRi's website;
- Exploring potential for the association’s presence and involvement in social media;
- Website development.
- Other: must be flexible enough to work in a small but hard-working team; must be able to follow and provide support to a range of advocacy activities and subject area.
The position offered is for a permanent contract with six months trial period. The successful candidate must be already able to legally work in Belgium.
What we offer:
The role offers a challenging and diverse full-time role in a fast-growing NGO. We offer the exciting opportunity to help defend the civil rights of people across Europe and beyond. The team in Brussels is a blend of languages, cultures and professional backgrounds that makes it an exciting and attractive place to work.
Deadline for submission of application: 6 December2013. Please send your CV to Michela.Petruzzo(at)edri.org with the subject line "Community and Communications Officer". You will be contacted one week after the deadline.