The ACTA Archive
Today is the first anniversary of the rejection of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) in the European Parliament – after months of debates, a large majority of Parliamentarians voted against the adoption. This is the perfect time to gather all documents that have ever been produced by EDRi on this Agreement, to recall who were the stakeholders involved in the negotiation process within the EP and the NGOs who fought along with EDRi against ACTA.
A little bit of historyMany NGOs and international organisations advocated for the rejection of ACTA, which was a plurilateral agreement for the purpose of establishing international standards for the enforcement of intellectual property rights. It aimed to establish an international legal framework for targeting counterfeit goods and medicines and copyright infringements on the Internet.
The agreement was signed in October 2011 by Australia, Canada, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, and the United States. When in 2012, Mexico, the European Union and 22 Member States signed as well, it resulted in widespread protests across Europe. Supporters of the agreement described it as a response to "the increase in global trade of counterfeit goods and pirated copyright protected works". Opponents said it adversely affects fundamental rights including freedom of expression and privacy. Another reason to reject this agreement was the complete lack of transparency that surrounded the negotiation process since civil society groups, developing countries and the general public have been excluded from it.
European Digital Rights actively participated in the global campaign against ACTA. EDRi produced many papers in order to raise awareness on the agreement controversial aspects, both in process and substance. Indeed, the way in which ACTA was negotiated has robbed it of both democratic credibility and legal clarity. If ratified, it would also have had major implications for freedom of expression and access to culture, the right to privacy, in addition to harming international trade and stifling innovation. Eventually, on 4 July 2012, the European Parliament rejected the agreement in plenary session, with 478 votes against, 39 in favour and 165 abstentions.
Studies and Opinions
File in the EU Parliament
Websites and platforms
NGOs and Associations
- Booklet: Why you should care about ACTA (pdf) - Available in 15 different languages.
- ACTA: Article 27 (pdf)
Fact sheetsFact sheets on ACTA:
ACTA and its Impact on Fundamental Rights
ACTA - Criminal Sanctions
ACTA - Innovation and Competition
ACTA and its Impact on the EU's International Relations
ACTA and its "Safeguards"
Studies and Opinions
- Opinion of European Academics on ACTA http://www.iri.uni-hannover.de/acta-1668.html
- Douwe Korff & Ian Brown, Opinion on the compatibility of the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) with the European Convention on Human Rights & the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights, 2011 http://rfc.act-on-acta.eu/fundamental-rights
- European Parliament study - http://www.europarl.europa.eu/committees/en/INTA/studiesdownload.html?...
- Sean Flynn with Bijan Madhani, ACTA and Access to Medicines http://rfc.act-on-acta.eu/access-to-medicines
- Opinion of the European Data Protection Supervisor on the current negotiations by the European Union of an Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, paragraph 44 http://www.edps.europa.eu/EDPSWEB/edps/Consultation/OpinionsC/OC2010
- Sakharov price winners on ACTA- http://en.rsf.org/union-europeenne-online-freedoms-threatened-by-15-12...
- European Economic and Social Committee - http://www.laquadrature.net/files/EESC_on_IPR_Streategy.doc
File in the European Parliament
- EU/Australia, Canada, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, Switzerland and United States Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) 2011/0167(NLE): http://www.europarl.europa.eu/oeil/popups/ficheprocedure.do?reference=...
- Link to Parltrack: http://parltrack.euwiki.org/dossier/2011/0167%28NLE%29
Articles 20077 Nov. 2007: EU pushes for an international Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement
Articles 20084 June 2008: BitTorrent tracker sites threatened by draft ACTA agreement
Articles 200925 March 2009: European Parliament wants more transparency on ACTA
5 Nov. 2009: ENDitorial: ACTA revealed, European ISPs might have a big problem
18 Nov. 2009: ENDitorial: Mobilizing to Stop ACTA
16 Dec. 2009: ENDitorial: What the conquistadores can teach us about ACTA
Articles 201027 Jan. 2010: New round of negotiations on ACTA: EU position
10 Feb. 2010: ACTA: the hot copyright treaty surrounded by secrecy
22 Feb. 2010: FAQ on ACTA digital chapter
24 Feb. 2010: Leaked ACTA text confirms suspicions
10 March 2010: ENDitorial: ACTA, the Euro Parliament resolution and political clarity
24 March 2010: ENDitorial: Counterfeit version of ACTA presented by European Commission
21 April 2010: ACTA: European Commission transparently ignores European Parliament
30 June 2010: ACTA - new criminal sanctions for non-commercial copyright uses?
8 Sept. 2010: ENDitorial: ACTA endgame - The devil is in the detail
Articles 201123 Feb. 2011: The US pressures the EU to pass ACTA before the end of 2011
4 May 2011: European Commission stumbles in ACTA opinion rebuttal
3 Oct. 2011: Parliament responds to EDRi's ACTA document request
5 Oct. 2011: ENDitorial: Countries start signing ACTA, preparatory docs still secret
19 Oct. 2011: European Parliament legal service confirms: ACTA may or may not be legal
19 Oct. 2011: The latest developments on ACTA in the European Parliament
10 Nov. 2011: Why you should care about ACTA
14 Nov. 2011: Booklet: Why you should care about ACTA
30 Nov. 2011: Dutch Parliament: no discussions on ACTA if negotiations are still secret
Articles 201216 Jan. 2012: What's Wrong with ACTA Week
1 Feb. 2012: ACTA - Frequently Asked Questions
1 Feb. 2012: The Lobby on ACTA is reaching a new level
1 Feb. 2012: ACTA "uprising" in Poland
2 Feb. 2012: ACTA fact sheet
7 Feb. 2012: ACTA Survival Guide for Website Owners
8 Feb. 2012: 10 European Commission myths about ACTA
15 Feb. 2012: European Commission discusses tactical, partial retreat on ACTA
15 Feb. 2012: European Anti-ACTA protests of 11 February
23 Feb. 2012: FAQ on referral of ACTA to European Court of Justice
29 Feb. 2012: The Netlog and Scarlet/Sabam rulings & ACTA - what have we learned?
5 March 2012: The plans to bring ACTA back to life
14 March 2012: ACTA debates in Europe
28 March 2012: ENDitorial: European Parliament defends itself and democracy from ACTA
11 April 2012: 9 June 2012 – European Action Day Against ACTA
12 April 2012: Is the G8 already working on a new ACTA?
12 April 2012: ACTA revival - MEP Gallo proposes meaningless compromise
25 April 2012: ACTA – if you think we've won, we've lost
9 May 2012: ENDitorial: ACTA is not dead
23 May 2012: Hearing at LIBE on ACTA
23 May 2012: From talk to action – EP Committees to vote on ACTA next week
29 May 2012: ACTA: European Commission negotiation failures
6 June 2012: ENDitorial: ACTA – the final weeks before the EP's vote
9 June 2012: Numbers at ACTA demonstrations exceed expectations
10 June 2012: Is ACTA the best thing ever to happen to the European Union?
13 June 2012: Why taking copyright out of ACTA is not the solution
27 June 2012: Marielle Gallo MEP condemns the "soft-terrorism" of the anti-ACTA campaign
4 July 2012: EDRi welcomes European Parliament's rejection of ACTA
4 July 2012: Thank you SOPA, thank you ACTA
26 Sept. 2012: The Netherlands against ACTA in all its forms
Articles 201313 March 2013:Total transparency on ACTA and TAFTA documents
10 April 2013: DFRI asks EP President Schulz for missing ACTA documents
Stakeholders involved in ACTA
INTA (Lead Committee) Rapporteur: Originally Kader Arif (S&D) (resigned in January 2012 as he was against the Agreement), then David Martin (S&D)
- Christofer Fjellner (EPP)
- Niccolò Rinaldi (ALDE)
- Syed Kamall (ECR)
- Helmut Scholz (GUE/NGL)
ITRE (Opinion) Rapporteur: Amelia Andersdotter (Greens/EFA)
- Daniel Caspary (EPP)
- Francesco de Angelis (S&D)
- Jens Rohde (ALDE)
- Marisa Matias (GUE/NGL)
- Vicky Ford (ECR)
JURI (Opinion) Rapporteur: Evelyn Regner (S&D) (originally Marielle Gallo (EPP))
- Cecilia Wikström (ALDE)
- Eva Lichtenberger (Greens/EFA)
- Luigi Berlinguer (S&D)
LIBE (Opinion) Rapporteur: Dimitrios Droutsas (S&D)
- Sophia in’t Veld (ALDE)
- Zuzana Roithová (EPP)
- Carl Schlyter (Greens/EFA
- Timothy Kirkhope (ECR)
- Cornelia Ersnt (GUE/NGL)
DEVE (Opinion) Rapporteur: Jan Zahradil (ECR)
- Charles Goerens (ALDE)
- Michèle Striffler (EPP)
- Thijs Berman (S&D)
- Franziska Keller (Greens/EFA)
- Gabriele Zimmer (GUE/NGL)
DG TRADE (in charge of negotiations for the EU Commission)
Karel de Gucht, Commissioner for Trade Pedro Velasco Martins, Deputy Head of Unit, Public Procurement and Intellectual Property Unit (Brussels Office number +(32) 2 2968893)
Michel Barnier, Commissioner for the Internal Market Benoît Lory, Policy Officer, Legal and Policy Affairs, Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights Unit
Websites and platforms
NGOs and Associations
- La Quadrature du Net: http://www.laquadrature.net/en/ACTA
- Open Rights Group: http://wiki.openrightsgroup.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreeme...
- Access Now: https://www.accessnow.org/page/s/just-say-no-to-acta - ACTA Action Center: https://www.accessnow.org/blog/acta-protest-feb-11
- Knowledge Ecology International: http://keionline.org/acta
- Panoptykon Foundation: http://panoptykon.org/wiadomosc/biezace-doniesienia-z-frontu-acta
- EFF: https://www.eff.org/issues/acta
- FFII: http://action.ffii.org/acta/Analysis
- Digitale Gesellschaft: http://acta.digitalegesellschaft.de/
- Bits of Freedom: https://www.bof.nl/category/acta/
- Public Citizen http://www.citizen.org/documents/Letter-to-Members-of-the-Committee-on...
- ARTICLE 19 http://www.article19.org/resources.php/resource/2901/en/european-parli...
- Oxfam Statement regarding ACTA and Public Health http://www.oxfamsol.be/fr/IMG/pdf/Oxfam_ACTA_analysis_FINAL.pdf
- Amnesty International: “EU urged to reject international anti-counterfeiting pact” - http://www.amnesty.org/en/news/eu-urged-reject-international-anti-coun...